With the never-ending distractions of this life and the perpetual task filling our plates, we tend to forget the main purpose of our existence, which is to worship Allah . Unfortunately, we make this life the priority rather than spending our precious time earning Allah’s mercy and forgiveness.
Allah has blessed us with innumerable opportunities to erase our sins in less than sixty seconds, yet we make use of such invaluable golden opportunities very rarely. Bountiful rewards await us but we have to take the first step of remembering Allah at all times. Here are some short and easy to learn daily supplications and actions that barely take up our time but grant us magnificent rewards.
1. Narrated Abu Huraira : Allah’s Messenger said, “Whoever says, ‘Subhan Allah wa bihamdihi’ one hundred times a day, will be forgiven all his sins even if they were as much as the foam of the sea.” – Sahih Al-Bukhari
2. Narrated Abu Huraira : The Prophet said, “There are two expressions which are very easy for the tongue to say, but they are very heavy in the balance and are very dear to The Beneficent (Allah), and they are, ‘Subhan Allah Al- `Azim and ‘Subhan Allah wa bihamdihi.'” -Sahih Al-Bukhari
3. Abu Musa reported: “The Messenger of Allah said to me, ‘Shall I not guide you to a treasure from the treasures of Jannah?’ I said: ‘Yes, O Messenger of Allah!’ Thereupon, he said, ‘(Recite) ‘La hawla wa la quwwata illa billah’ (There is no change of a condition nor power except by Allah).'” – Al-Bukhari and Muslim
4. Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah said: “He who blesses me once, Allah would bless him ten times.” 1
Voluntary acts and Nawafil (extra prayers):
1.Narrated Umm Habibah : The Prophet said: “If anyone prays in a day and a night twelve rak’ahs voluntarily (supererogatory prayer), a house will be built for him in Paradise on account of these (rak’ahs).” – Sahih Al-Albani
5. Ibn Mas’ud reported: The Messenger of Allah said, “Whoever recites a letter from the Book of Allah, he will be credited with a good deed, and a good deed gets a ten-fold reward. I do not say that Alif-Lam-Mim is one letter, but Alif is a letter, Lam is a letter and Mim is a letter.” – At-Tirmidhee
6. Abu Sa’id Al-Khudri reported: The Messenger of Allah said, “Every slave of Allah who observes saum (fasting) for a day in the cause of Allah, Allah will keep his face from Hell-fire at a distance of seventy years.” – Al-Bukhari and Muslim
The main purpose of this article is to highlight quick and simple actions that enable us to undo the wrong we have committed. We should memorize these supplications as well as their rewards. Strive to recite them throughout the day so that angels can record our remembering of Allah in an attempt to soften our hearts, rather than recording us wasting our precious time scrolling through our smartphones, for example.
Beware! Let us not lose interest after a while or treat these supplications as a repetitive act, making them lose out in terms of sincerity and passion. Let us always be conscious of the fact that Allah loves passionate and heart-felt duas (supplications) where our hearts would be speaking and not just our tongues. Always remember: It is when we sincerely believe that Allah will answer our duas that He grants us what we desire! May Allah make us of those whose duas are always answered and of those whom He is pleased with. Ameen.
- Sahih Muslim ↩