Style Guidelines for the “IOU Blog”
As-salamu aleikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu
This document has 2 parts:
- Format guidelines
- Article preparation on IOU blog site
Please review them both very carefully.
Format of the article:
- The font size and style for the entire article should be 12 points Times New Roman;
- The body of the article should appear as justified
All writers are required to insert following calligraphy, please do NOT place the calligraphy in brackets:
- “swt” after Allah
- “A.S” as the title for all prophets
- “S.A.W” after Prophet Muhammad’s name
- “R.T.A” after the companions’ names
- For male companion
- For more companions
- For female companion
Please follow this instructions on how to insert the calligraphy and adjust its size:
1) Open your article in your Admin IOU blog page
2) Place your mouse where you will be inserting the calligraphy.
3) Click on ADD MEDIA
4) Choose the calligraphy
5) Insert (copy-paste same image where needed)
Citations from the Qur’an
Only the Sahih International should be used for all the Qur’anic texts: http://quran.com/. No other translation of the meaning of the Qur’an will be accepted.
The IOU does not support or promote the title of ‘Holy’ Qur’an as it is an imitation of the Christians calling their Bible ‘Holy’. Hence, do not use such title. If you wish to use any title for the Qur’an, you can call it Noble or Magnificent.
Referencing the Qur’an verses should be in the following format – (surah name, number:verse number)
“Except for those who repent thereafter and reform, for indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.” (An Nur, 24:5)
- Qur’anic translation is enclosed within quotation marks (inverted commas).
- Round brackets are used within the translation.
Please use only tafsir Ibn Kathir available at: www.qtafsir.com
The source of the hadeeth must be mentioned. Authenticity if known should also be mentioned. You must refer to www.sunnah.com while referencing your ahadith.
The Prophet said, “When the Prophet felt the need of relieving himself, he went far off where no one could see him.” (Saheeh, Abu Dawood)
- The text of the hadeeth is enclosed within quotation marks.
- The reference is shortened and presented in round brackets after the hadeeth ends as indicated in the example above.
Punctuation, Grammar and Dates
- IOU uses American spelling. For instance, “honor” instead of “honour.” Period is inside the quotation marks.
- IOU does not use such abbreviation symbols as &, #, etc.
- Dates are in American format: January 1, 2014.
Spelling and Non-English Terms
- The first letter of Arabic terms and other non-English words should not be capitalized unless it is a proper name.
- Commonly used Arabic terms shall appear as: subhan Allah / jazak Allah khair / alhamdulillah / masha’Allah / insha’Allah / hadeeth / ahadeeth (pl. hadeeth) / Qur’an / Makkah / Madinah / shariah / salah / zakah / saum / hajj / sadaqa / baraka /surah/ ayah / qadar / ameen / saheeh.
- This will be the spelling for Prophet Muhammad’s name.
- Spelling for ahadeeth collections: Bukharee / Muslim / Abu Dawood / Tirmidhee / Malik / Ibn Majah / Hadeeth Qudsi / An-Nasa’ee / Riyad as-Saliheen / Bulugh al-Maram / Fiqh-us-Sunnah
- Spelling for commonly used Arabic names: Abu Bakr / ‘Umar / ‘Uthman / ‘Alee / Fatima / ‘A’isha / Zaynab / Maryam / Moosa / ‘Isa / Yaqoob / Yunus / Yusuf / Dawood / Sulayman / Nooh / Zakariyah / Haroon / Dhul Qarnayn / Mu’adh / Sa’d / Abu Dhar / ‘Amr.
Islamic Months (In Order)
Names of surahs
Please use the names of the surahs as mentioned on the following page: http://quran.com/
600-1200 words. If the article is longer, it may be broken into parts for easier readability.
Article preparation on IOU blog site
Fields to be completed
Categories – Choose from the list, right side
Description – Needs to be written by the author. Try to keep it within the search engines limit; maximum 350 characters. Please make sure your description is short (about 4-5 lines) and talks about what your article is about and why the reader needs to read your article. Please make it short and interesting so the reader clicks the link the moment he/she reads the short description. This description will be put up on our Facebook pages along with the link of your article, so make it interesting and exciting!
Keywords: Same as tags
Excerpt : Excerpt needs to be written by the author.
All quotes: Qur’an, hadeeth, quotes,etc. need to be marked as quotations by SELECTING the text and clicking on quotation icon.
Saving Your Article : Hit the “Save Draft” option on the right hand side.
Following tip will make your final article more interesting.
How to use this type of quotation ‘pull quote’:
And that is it! Your draft is ready! 🙂